The Build - Part 6

See what happened next. Back to the front. Send an e-mail.

While I was waiting for paint to dry etc. I started looking at some more things to improve.
In various places, there are quite large holes between the body and chassis which allows a lot of mud and muck into the vehicle - the worst example is in the front wheelarches which, although I bought inner arches with the kit, have a huge gap directly behind the tyre. This allows muck to be thrown up the side of the bulkhead and onto the dashboard and even the windscreen!!

Front wheelarch gap.
Front of rear arch.Rear of rear arch.

Two other large gaps are at the front and rear of the rear arches - these are an awkward shape and will be harder to fill than the front arches which will just need a piece of flat sheet.
Fortunately these other holes don't allow anything like as much muck in as they are not in the "firing line" from the wheels.

All work and no play makes Dakar a dull toy, so I had to go and drive around for a bit.
Along similar lines, I took a trip to the National Kit Car Show.

Side steps looking good.New spotlights look more purposeful than the originals.Still snowy on the moors.
Rear roof strut.

Now for a roof - I got hold of Sue & Ian Mason's old roof for the cost of the postage (thanks Sue!).
The first thing to do was make a strut to support the rear edge - to be honest, I always thought there should be a tube across here anyway.
Now I can see how the roof will sit and attach the fasteners to the body accordingly.

Roof loosely in position.
For some time I have been thinking that there's something amiss with FDT's engine, given it seems a bit short on grunt and my recently fitted vacuum gauge reads permanently low. Various things lead me to believe that the cam timing was out, so I set about measuring it and, sure enough, it appeared to be retarded by about 5 degrees. To resolve this I fitted a vernier timing chain set.
Setting up the vernier timing chain set with a dial gauge and home-made timing tape.Sump pan is from a Rover P6 and is un-baffled.Simple steel baffles welded in.
I had to remove the sump as the gasket came away with the timing cover, so I took the opportunity to fit some baffles to prevent oil-surge (the pressure light comes on if you stand on the brakes!!). This is a Rover P6 sump which is a similar shape to the Range Rover's but has no baffles, and the drain plug is underneath instead of on the side.

June 2005.
I've finally finished the wheelarch/sill mud shields - they just need painting.

Front arch mud shield.Sill mud shield.Re-assembled dashboard.Polished alloy gaiter retainers.I don't actually have a handbrake gaiter, but this will help.
I've also finished re-colouring and fitting the dashboard. I made some nice shiny retainers for the transfer, overdrive and handbrake gaiters - although the handbrake gaiter is improvised at the moment.