The Build - part 2

See what happened next. Back to the front. Send an e-mail.
It's the second week in April and I call in assistance from friends Matt, David and Robert to fit the roll-cage to the chassis. Amazingly, it only took about half an hour to get it in place.
Roll cage fitted.Looks weird from the back.
Bulkhead modification.
Another aspect of the bulkhead is modifying it to accept the roll-cage - it needs to be narrowed slightly. The Dakar build manual is a bit vague about this job and favours the "hit it with a big hammer 'til it fits" approach!
I prefer my "cut and shut" method, now that I'm a dab-hand with the welder.
The end of April approaches and I have cleaned and painted the transmission tunnel, before fitting it to the bulkhead and roll-cage assembly - it definitely feels like it is starting to take shape.
I had a day off building on May Day bank holiday, and went to the National Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh, where I bought a few bits and pieces and also met up with some Dakar owners at Avon Dassett quarry.
Transmission tunnel a few pounds lighter after cleaning.Tunnel fitted to bulkhead.It's big and black and ....
Floor panels, pedals & steering column fitted.Clutch hydraulics done.Inner sill panel fitted.

Progress seemed slow until the last couple of weeks of May when serious construction started! The floor panels, pedal box and steering column all went in.
I also fixed (I think) an oil leak from the overdrive unit.

Sound deadening in the sill.Outer sill panel fitted.Body fitted.Almost looks like a Dakar.
It took another month to complete the sill panels (45 rivets in each outer panel), but then the body was ready to fit. Overdrive still leaks !
Now I could get on with the electrics - I started with the front side-light units and the tail-light clusters, running all the new wiring back to the passenger footwell, where they meet up with the original dash loom.
Re-coloured dashboard (and some wires).Side & indicator lamps.Tail-lights
Welded frame bolts to floor.Seats bolt to frames.
At the beginning of August Matt said he would need his welding gear back, so I concentrated on making some seat frames. By the time these were done, it was time for the club trip to Baskerville Hall. In the meantime I bought a second-hand welder (now lent out to someone else!!)
Frame bolts to existing points on chassis.Steel struts stop it bending.Panels came from a HP computer rack.
During September I got the welder back and started constructing a frame to support the rear floor. I used the same 1" square tube that I made the front seat frames from. The manual doesn't give any particular advice on this part of the build, but I wanted something quite strong to take the weight of the fuel tank. The flat aluminium panels sit on top and are reinforced with steel braces underneath.